Friday, August 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Owen

Heading to the hospital to meet Owen for the first time.

I almost typed we woke up at 5 am to head to the hospital but I didn't sleep at all and neither did Nate because we were so excited. My mom and Nahlia dropped us off at a little before our scheduled time and Nahlia must have been excited too because she didn't go back to sleep until 11. Being induced scared be quite a bit because both of my sister in laws didn't have good experiences with their induced labors. Plus the idea of forcing my body to do something it wasn't ready to do yet wasn't really sitting well. I was hoping that if I just waited longer I'd go into labor on my own but I realized that wasn't going to happen because he was just floating around and I had to get my water broken. The doctor wouldn't break my water unless I was on pitocin. So I decided to just do it as soon as I could. After we checked in I tried to walk around and stand up as much as possible because I knew they would put me on the IV and monitors and in bed the rest of the day. 
At my last apt I was dilated to about a 3 but his head hadn't come all the way down so the doctor thought that I should get an epidural fairy soon after my water was broken. She was right. I jumped to a 6 pretty quickly without much pain. After the epidural I slowed down a bit but I remember the nurse just giving my more and more pitocin. The worst pain I felt was when I was around an 8, the epidural was wearing off and the nurse just hit me with an other dose of pitocin making the contractions almost continuous and my body started pushing. I told the nurse and she check me and said she'd call the doctor but that his head was still a little high. My back was in so much pain and my whole body was shaking. I was using Nathan's arm to hold myself up off my back. I was still waiting for more epidural and was preparing for lots of pushing because the nurse said his head was high still so I just started pushing without her, way waste all that energy. Epidurals are heaven. At least for me it makes pushing so much more concentrated. The nurse was getting frustrated at me because I kept letting my breath out when she was telling me to hold it in when I pushed. She must have said it 20 times. It made me laugh. The doctor and nurse were so encouraging it made me laugh too. "That's it, that's it". Then when I'd do it wrong they'd say "Push right here, right here". And I'd laugh because its not like I ever claimed to be an expert at pushing "right here", I'm trying people. But I only pushed for about 20 mins or less which was great. Then little Owen made his appearance. Seeing your child for the first time is something you never forget. Your just in awe at this precious little gift. Then he pees on the doctor.

Owen Dean Stewart
8.8lbs
19 3/4in
1:32 pm



Dr. Turner

First Boy Time. 

3 comments:

erin said...

awwwww and he is the cutest newborn!

Erin said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He is just beautiful and I'm glad you guys did so well with the induction. I miss you terribly and must get to Vegas soon to visit or I might just explode!

Becky said...

So happy for you guys! Congrats -- he's adorable.